Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut, one of the greatest writers of modern times, a survivor of the Dresden bombings, and a superb satirist, died at the age of 84. He was a favorite writer of mine, one of the few authors that I can read their works over and over.

Sad that we lose such a talented man, and the top news story in the country is Don Imus.

Here's a personal favorite of mine. From a speech Vonnegut gave.
"I am, incidentally, Honorary President of the American Humanist Association, having succeeded the late, great science fiction writer Isaac Asimov in that totally functionless capacity. We had a memorial service for Isaac a few years back, and I spoke and said at one point, "Isaac is up in heaven now." It was the funniest thing I could have said to an audience of humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored. And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, "Kurt is up in heaven now." That's my favorite joke."

ANd a poem, taken from his last book, "A Man Without A Country"
a poem written by Mr. Vonnegut called “Requiem,” which has these closing lines:

When the last living thing
has died on account of us,
how poetical it would be
if Earth could say,
in a voice floating up
perhaps
from the floor
of the Grand Canyon,
“It is done.”
People did not like it here.

That is all for now. I think I'll fo reread "Cat's Cradle".

No comments: